News Item Details
Tax Deadline December 5
As the December 5th deadline for payment of County real estate and personal property taxes approaches, the office of the Botetourt County Treasurer wants you to be aware of the following:
- Any payment that is postmarked or paid by the due date will be credited toward the billed amount. In other words, the entire bill does not have to be paid in a single payment, however of course, additional charges (penalty for late payment, and interest that begins the first of the month after the due date) will accrue only against the balance that remains after a partial payment made by the due date.
- Botetourt County encourages real estate payments at any time during the year. An acceptable method is for the property owner to send payments when they have funds to do so, so long as identification is provided that will enable proper posting of the payment.
- The Treasurer’s office also has a no-fee program for automatic bank account debit of an amount determined by the property owner. Any real estate payments made during the year are credited to the annual bill. Additional information is available online at www.botetourt.org/ by calling the Treasurer’s office at 540.473.8254 (option2).
- Credit cards are accepted at the counter in the Treasurer’s office and on the internet at www.botetourtbillpay.com. Processed through PayPal, a transaction fee is charged when using Discover, Master Card or VISA cards (whether at the counter or on the internet). The website also enables search for balances, assessments and printing of tax bill and receipts.
- Pay either or both real estate and personal property taxes by a “virtual” electronic check through the County’s secure web server at www.botetourt.org/treasurer/. There is NO service charge or convenience fee to use this option.
- You may pay your real estate and personal property taxes at all the branches, within Botetourt County, of the following banks: Bank of Botetourt, Bank of Fincastle, BB&T, Carter Bank & Trust, First Citizens Bank, and SunTrust Bank. The payment stub of each bill must be provided with payment.
- Collection actions for personal property, the cost of which is added to the individual account, will begin mid-January.
For more information, contact
Treasurer’s office at (540) 473-8254 (option2)