Department of Community Development: Planning and Zoning Division
Planning Manager/Zoning Administrator
Monday - Friday
8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
5 West Main Street
Fincastle, VA 24090
Phone: (540) 928-2080
Fax: (540) 473-2018
The Planning Division handles:
This division is responsible for all short and long-range planning functions affecting the growth and development of Botetourt County. It provides citizens with information related to land use issues, zoning, FEMA floodplain determinations, Home Occupation Permits, Manufactured Home (HUD) Permits, plat approvals, rezoning, site plan review, subdivision approvals, sign permits and variances, and performs review, inspection and enforcement duties.
The Botetourt County Planning Commission is composed of five members who are appointed by the Board of Supervisors to represent their respective magisterial districts. The Commission makes recommendations on rezoning, text amendments, and special exception permit applications. The Board of Supervisors then makes the final decision regarding the Commission's recommendations.
For more information, including meeting agendas and minutes, please visit the Planning Commission's website.
- Request to Vacate rev 07/08
- Rezoning/ SEP/Text Amendment and Change in Proffers/Conditions rev 05/14
- Pre-Application Conference Request Form
- Outdoor Lighting Waiver rev 07/08
- Planning and Zoning Fees rev 06/16
- Home Occupation Permit rev 10/09
- for the Manufactured Home (HUD) Permit (formerly the Mobile Home Placement Permit), contact the Planning Office; answers to questions concerning trailers and mobilehomes may be found in the "Housing" section of the FAQ
- Sign Permit rev. 09/14
- Temporary Use Permit Application rev 07/12
- Botetourt County commercial permitting information
- Botetourt County Comprehensive Plan March 2011
All land divisions in Botetourt County are governed by the County Subdivision Ordinance (Chapter 21). A subdivision is defined as a division of any tract, parcel or lot of land, into two (2) or more parts, at one (1) time for any extended period of time, for the purpose of transfer of ownership or building development.
The Board of Zoning Appeals (BZA) is a five (5) member board appointed by the Circuit Court, which generally approves or denies zoning ordinance variance requests and hears appeals to the zoning administrators' decisions. The BZA's decision is final and appealable only to the Circuit Court.
The Board of Zoning Appeals (BZA) normally meets at 9:00 AM on the second Tuesday of each month in the Old District Court Buiilding in Fincastle. For more information, contact the Division of Planning and Zoning.
- Architectural Survey of Botetourt County, Virginia (Dec. 31, 2008)
about the Survey Report (A. Firebaugh's Fincastle Herald article 03/25/09)
in County Libraries Reference;
available for purchase from the P&Z Office: $15 hard-copy; $12 CD (not available via download)
- Commercial Permitting Information
- GIS (Geographic Information Systems) Maps
State and Federal