Department of Development Services: Planning and Zoning Division
Planning Manager/Zoning Administrator
Monday - Friday
8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
5 West Main Street
Fincastle, VA 24090
Phone: (540) 473-8320
Fax: (540) 473-2018
The Planning Division handles:
This division is responsible for all short and long-range planning functions affecting the growth and development of Botetourt County. It provides citizens with information related to land use issues, zoning, FEMA floodplain determinations, Home Occupation Permits, Manufactured Home (HUD) Permits, plat approvals, rezoning, site plan review, subdivision approvals, sign permits and variances, and performs review, inspection and enforcement duties.
The Botetourt County Planning Commission is composed of five members who are appointed by the Board of Supervisors to represent their respective magisterial districts. The Commission makes recommendations on rezoning, text amendments, and special exception permit applications. The Board of Supervisors then makes the final decision regarding the Commission's recommendations.
The Commission normally holds its regular meetings at 6:00 p.m. on the second Monday of the month in the Old District Court Building in Fincastle. Agendas and minutes are posted here. For more information, please contact Laura Goad in the Department of Development Services.
Proposed Text Amendments
The Planning Commission will make recommendations on the following proposed text amendments at the meetings indicated. Comments and questions regarding the proposed text amendments prior to the meeting should be directed to the Department of Development Services: Planning and Zoning Division.
|Meeting Date||Description||Full Text|
September 8, 2014
None at this time
- Request to Vacate rev 07/08
- Rezoning/ SEP/Text Amendment and Change in Proffers/Conditions rev 05/14
- Pre-Application Conference Request Form
- Outdoor Lighting Waiver rev 07/08
- Planning and Zoning Fees rev 07/05
- Home Occupation Permit rev 10/09
- for the Manufactured Home (HUD) Permit (formerly the Mobile Home Placement Permit), contact the Planning Office; answers to questions concerning trailers and mobilehomes may be found in the "Housing" section of the FAQ
- Sign Permit rev 07/08
- Temporary Use Permit Application rev 07/12
- Botetourt County commercial permitting information
- Botetourt County Comprehensive Plan March 2011
All land divisions in Botetourt County are governed by the County Subdivision Ordinance (Chapter 21). A subdivision is defined as a division of any tract, parcel or lot of land, into two (2) or more parts, at one (1) time for any extended period of time, for the purpose of transfer of ownership or building development.
The Board of Zoning Appeals (BZA) is a five (5) member board appointed by the Circuit Court, which generally approves or denies zoning ordinance variance requests and hears appeals to the zoning administrators' decisions. The BZA's decision is final and appealable only to the Circuit Court.
The Board of Zoning Appeals (BZA) normally meets at 9:00 AM on the second Tuesday of each month in the Old District Court Buiilding in Fincastle. For more information, contact the Planning and Zoning Department.
- Architectural Survey of Botetourt County, Virginia (Dec. 31, 2008)
about the Survey Report (A. Firebaugh's Fincastle Herald article 03/25/09)
in County Libraries Reference;
available for purchase from the P&Z Office: $15 hard-copy; $12 CD (not available via download)
- Commercial Permitting Information
- GIS (Geographic Information
GIS Maps Help File
- Planning Commission and Board of Zoning Appeals Member Directory revised: 02/10
Floodplain Map Store
Maps for Botetourt County and its communities available for purchase
- U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
- VA Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ)
- VA Department of Transportation (VDOT)
- I-81 Exit 150 Safety and Capacity Improvement Study Continues
State and Federal